Tom Rawson <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:54:22 -0500
Jacob Haller wrote:

> Here's essentially what you need to do.
>
> 1) Find out what the MXs (mail handlers) are for the domain in
> question.  For instance if the bouncing address is [log in to unmask]
> you would do an "nslookup -TYPE=MX example.com".  There may not be
> any MXs defined in which case mail is handled by example.org itself.

This works nicely to see what's going on, and the results fully support
your explanation!

In the results, does a higher MX preference value indicate the server used
first, or second?  I presume the  latter -- all the errors I checked are
coming from the servers with higher MX preference numbers.

> 2) For each MX in turn, connect to port 25 (you can usually do this
> using a telnet program; from a command line it would probably look
> something like "telnet mail.example.com 25") and issue some SMTP
> commands to verify what's going on.

I can't seem to do that -- looks like the connection attempt just times
out, for both primary and secondary servers.  Any other ideas on this?

I also just noticed, thanks to your tip, that ALL of the errors for at
least the last two days are for domains that are all in caps, so taht may
be part of the issue as well.

Thanks!

-----
Tom Rawson           [log in to unmask]