Bob Wier <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 02:07:04 -0600
|I think I suggested privately once that we should have some
|bogus lists at the beginning, middle, and end of a list-of-
|lists that would likely targets for spamers.  Mailing to those
|lists would trigger the listserv spam-o-meter.
|
|/Pete Weiss,
| Penn State

I do this in a minor way on a site basis - I have an internal mailing list that's set up
only for testing. If I get notification that someone has requested info
on it or worse still, tried to subscribe to it then I followup right away.

The most recent case of this was [log in to unmask] on 8/4/95. I sent a note
back and asked why they were looking at/trying to subscribe to that list. I
also dropped a note to my other listowners on an "urgent" basis. Sure enough
there were attempts several hours later to subscribe to those,too...

Funny, they never did tell me why they were trying to subscribe to my test list :-)

THANKS

     ===== Round Up the Usual Disclaimers! ======
  Bob Wier, keeper of the Photo-3D, Icom radio (WB5KXH),
  Overland Trails, and Motorola HC11 mailing lists

   currently in Ouray, Co at 8,000 ft. elevation
       (this is a *high level* system :-)