Bill Blinn <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:47:09 -0400
It seems that Winship said ...

W> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Michele Francis wrote:
>> Sometime if use e-mail get command you can lock the list if you don't
>> specify nolock.

W> The person wasn't asking aboutg LOCK, he was asking about HOLD.

W> LOCK and HOLD are totally different functions and have *nothing* to do
W> with each other.  You can run a LOCKed list from now until doomsday and
W> list postings will be distributed to the list as long as the list has
W> not been held.

W> HOLD has to do with distribution of list postings, nothing to do with
W> the subscription list.

W> LOCK has to do with the subscription list itself, nothing to do with
W> whether postings are distributed to the list or not.

W> Douglas

Some of us have been using LSoft software for perhaps only five years
or so, as I have, and occasionally one of us might not get the
terminology exactly right. Those who ask questions here are probably
doing so because they would like help, not not because they are hoping
to be ridiculed.

Likewise, it seems to me that those who take the time to reply, even
if they haven't read every single message posted since the question
arose and, therefore, who may not have seen a reply that illustrated
the original poster had a term wrong, are simply attempting to help.
Ridiculing those folks seems to be a poor way to illustrate your vast
knowledge (well, half-vast, anyway) of the subject.

Bear in mind the words of Will Rogers: "An ignorant person is one who
doesn't know what you have just found out."

Thank you.

--
Bill Blinn - 6/13/2002 at 6:41 PM
William Blinn Communications, Columbus, Ohio