Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:44:03 -0500
On: Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 02:59:59PM -0500,John Cunniff Wrote:

[ ... ]

} It appeared that my friend's e-mail address was showing like this:
}

[ ... ]

} That really surprised me! I have lost TWO addrresses, not one!! So, I
} went to Examine box and typed:

[ ... ]

} I think it is the bug in LISTSERV that caused the above problems. I
} think the problem should be fixed in the next version after version 15.0
} or something that we needs to be more careful of watching out for adding
} someone without any communication break-downs between me and a co-owner...

Not a bug John.  Working perfectly correct according to the RFCs which
state that case is significant in the user portion of the address.
Lsoft is one of the few internet companies that treat the RFCs as
standards instead of suggestions,  and I admire them for this.

However Lsoft has finally bowed to usage and if you add the line:

     * Misc-Options= IGNORE_EMAIL_CASE

to your list's header it will treat User and user as the same.  If you
are the listserv maintainer, there is a corresponding option to add to
the site config that makes it the default for all lists on that server.

I am not sure if this option was in the base 15.0 release or was added
by later maintenence.

--
Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 239 543 1353
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67