"David M. Rosenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:12:51 EST
The LISTSERV Support FAQ contains the following text as part of the
answer to the question "Are L-Soft products Year 2000 compliant?":

    Beginning with version 1.8d, LISTSERV will be Year 2000 Compliant
    under all supported architectures except for VM, contingent on
    operating system support for Year 2000.

    LISTSERV (and LMail) for VM will become Year 2000 Compliant when
    L-Soft no longer has S/370 customers to support (which will
    happen in 1999, given that the version of VM used on the S/370
    platform is not Year 2000 Compliant and the S/370 does not
    support XA).

I interpret L-Soft's statement to mean that LISTSERV version 1.8d for VM
is not Year 2000 Compliant, even when running under a release of VM/ESA
which is Year 2000 Compliant. If I'm interpretting L-Soft's statement
correctly, you are also saying that you will have Year 2000 Compliant
releases of LISTSERV for VM-NJE, LISTSERV for VM-TCP and LMail sometime
before 1-Jan-2000, but you aren't being any more specific about how much
before 1-Jan-2000 these releases will be available.

Is this interpretation correct?

I speculate that L-Soft might want to wait until LISTSERV 1.8d is in
general release before releasing the Year 2000 Compliant versions of
LISTSERV for VM and LMail. Is that your intention?

I'd like to raise the following concern. There are "Y2K Project Teams"
that have schedules for dealing with the Y2K problem. Many of these
teams have set a deadline by which all software will either be updated
to a Year 2000 Compliant version or replaced by another package that is
Year 2000 Compliant. After that deadline, they expect to devote their
full time to verifying that all the (allegedly) Year 2000 Compliant
systems are really Year 2000 Compliant.

Some of these "Y2K Project Teams" have set the dealine for conversion to
Year 2000 Compliant systems at 1-Jan-1999 (leaving all of 1999 available
for testing). Other Y2K Project Teams have set other conversion
deadlines closer to 1-Jan-2000. Since some testing is obviously
necessary, no one wants to set the conversion deadline TOO close to
1-Jan-2000.

In order to avoid giving a Y2K Project Team an excuse to do something
rash, can L-Soft make some statement to the effect that "Year 2000
Compliant releases of LISTSERV for VM-NJE, LISTSERV for VM-TCP and LMail
will be available no later than xxxx." where xxxx is some date L-Soft is
confident that you can really meet and is also something that we have a
chance of getting a Y2K Project Team to accept as giving them a
comfortable amount of installation and testing time prior to 1-Jan-2000?

/David Rosenberg