Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:22:33 -0500
At 11:08 02/26/2001 Monday, Tom Rawson wrote:
 >On 26 Feb 2001, Pete Weiss wrote:
 >
 >> There must be, because the NEW-LIST LISTSERV(R) based list is doing
 >> so.  There appears to be 278 BIT.LISTSERV. groups defined, and of those,
 >> at least 1/4 of them of non-empty.
 >
 >I think you are talking about lists mirrored as newsgroups on the Usenet
 >backbone in some way.  Is that right?
 >
 >I want something different, almost opposite to that -- a private news
 >(NNTP) server running on the same machine as LISTSERV that allows people
 >ot read the list (actually it would be the archives they'd be reading) as
 >a newsgroup.  This would not involve Usenet or Bitnet at all.

Why not just use the WEB interface?  Adding yet another major Internet
client for a very special purpose seems like an ongoing commitment to
personnel training and other issues that might seem excessive.

One of the techniques that I use to read some lists is to subscribe in
INDEX HTML mode and then pick n' choose the articles (clicking on the
emailed URLs to open a window to the full-text).  If the posters have
used the original subject: in their REply, then there is a limited form
of threading, a handy NNTP-feature mimiced).

/Pete