Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 11:35:52 -0500
On Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:13:43 -0500, Eric wrote:
>He claimed that I was a communist trying
>to cure my own big brother complex...
>Gee, is the review setting he now has a form of big brother?
>I have invited him to leave the list, but he says he will sue me if I delete
>him... (as a poor college student, I don't have much to lose... :-)

You can tell him to waste his money if he wishes to.  What would be his
basis of action?  Freedom of speech doesn't require list owners to provide
anyone access to their list (let them find their own soapbox).  People who
have tried to sue companies for limiting their (private) feedom of
expression have discovered that the right ONLY applies to the government
(Congress shall pass no law).  That is, if you want to work for an
organization, you *can* be limited by that organization's rules (the courts
hold that one has the freedom to quit and work for someone else).

It doesn't matter whether you are "Big Brother" or not; a list is NOT a
Burger King!

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (860) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (860) 456-7725 fax
   http://mktg.sba.uconn.edu/MKT/Faculty/Sewall.html