Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 00:34:25 EDT
On Sat, 14 Oct 1995 20:27:32 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>That's true but I can't think of any  reason why I would want to do that,
>at least for a list of that size. The info isn't manageable no matter how
>you display  it.

Of course it is.  The point is that subscribers fall into classes which
are handled in the aggregate.  Like, I *want* to send mail to, say, all
the subscribers that are NOMAILed.  And I *want* to be able to report to
management (who requested the info) that 42% of list X is set to DIGEST
or INDEX.  Not to mention the listowner who wanted everyone who had not
already set a header to be switched to DUALheader.

One can argue that all that is a waste of time and maybe it is.  But I don't
care - if our organization is customer-driven, or if I am management-driven -
then I will do my best to comply with the whims of customers and managers.
So what used to take 2 minutes now takes much longer and uses much more
computer resource as well.  I get to explain that to management too.  Sigh.

Bill