Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 31 May 2005 21:48:27 -0600
On Tue, 31 May 2005 14:59:28 -0400, Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>E-mail messages which come through my list with the format of

>have a nasty problem where they seem to get distributed to all members of my e-mail=20
>list just like I am intentionally typing this paragraph, with the end of every line=20
>of text having that useless and annoying and making-it-difficult-to-read "=20"=20
>combination of characters.  This can occur with the use of so-called smart-quotes=20
>or any number of other nasty characters.

Like it or not, this is exactly the purpose of QP encoding.  Most mail
client programs default to sending messages in QP when they encounter any
8-bit or other special characters.  In many mail clients it may be next to
impossible to turn off this behavior.

>In my recent review of the LISTSERV documentation, I noticed that there is a
>Translate= keyword which would seem to address this, if I've read it correctly.
>The default, however, is listed as "Translate= Yes" which, according to the
>documentation, means that I shouldn't have to set it for it to work correctly.

The Translate= keyword will not help you.  It is only useful for the
"double-byte" character sets  such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean.

>My list is being hosted on a machine running LISTSERV 1.8d, so I may not have
>this option at this time anyway.

Version 1.8d was not very MIME-aware so a number of errors like this are
possible.  This is corrected by upgrading the site to Version 1.8e (14.0)
and/or later releases.  Although you are not the Site Maintainer, you (along
with other List Owners) might encourage the site to consider upgrading.