Tom Trimble <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 23:49:58 -0800
         I, too, require a "real name" for approval of subscription, yet
have had listserv(R)-savvy individuals change the name registered with
their address,  and more commonly, configure their email client to use a
pseudonym with their message. Yet, my query will show the "real name" on
the server. I don't believe there is a way to force conformity to the "real
name" rule when posting other than to impose "review" for the subscriber.
(The real address always shows.) I've given up . . .  as long as "I" know
who it is when I need to, it's not otherwise worth the battle.

                 TT

At 12:03 AM 3/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Date:    Sat, 1 Mar 2003 19:12:37 -0500
>From:    Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: names and e-mail addresses in e-mail sent through LISTSERV
>
>--
>I have a subscriber to my list who has been complaining for a long time about
>what she believes is a conspiracy theory relating to how her name is displayed
>in e-mails she sends to my list.  I'm 100% certain that this is a software
>configuration problem with the mail client rather than with LISTSERV or the
>conspiracy theory she keeps bringing up, but I think I finally figured out
>what
>was really going on, and I'm curious to know a little bit more information
>about
>how LISTSERV handles the Firstname and Lastname parameters for subscribers.
>For example, I could issue this command:
>
>ADD listname [log in to unmask] Firstname Lastname PW=whatever
>
>and LISTSERV will happily tell me that Firstname Lastname has been added to
>the listname list with the e-mail address of [log in to unmask]
>
>I am led to believe, having actually RTFM myself ;-) , that LISTSERV doesn't
>actually use the first and last names for anything except that they come in
>handy when doing list queries for names or addresses that one is trying to
>track down, either to fulfill requests by list members or to do various list
>e-mail address maintanance.
>
>Now, today, I finally (I think) tracked down the nature of the current
>problem.
>My subscriber does not want her real name displayed in messages that come
>through the list, though a real name is required to be subscribed to the list
>(not by LISTSERV but by me as list owner), but in a test e-mail she sent to me
>just now, the From field indicates that her name, either her real name or the
>one she wishes to be displayed for other list members to see, is not being
>included by her e-mail software, and LISTSERV is thus adding her name based
>upon how she is subscribed to the list.  Is this a correct assumption about
>how LISTSERV handles the firstname and lastname parameters from the original
>subscribe request?  Or should I be looking at something completely different?
>
>Please CC a reply to me directly as I presently do not frequent this list.
>
>Glenn Alperin
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:01:43 -0500
>From:    Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: names and e-mail addresses in e-mail sent through LISTSERV
>
>On: Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 07:12:37PM -0500,Glenn Alperin Wrote:
>
>} I have a subscriber to my list who has been complaining for a long time
>about
>} what she believes is a conspiracy theory relating to how her name is
>displayed
>} in e-mails she sends to my list.  I'm 100% certain that this is a software
>} configuration problem with the mail client rather than with LISTSERV or the
> [...]

                 Sincerely,

                         Tom Trimble, RN

EMERGENCY NURSING WORLD !
[http://ENW.org]

The Internet's leading Practice-Based Resource
for Emergency Nursing