Christopher Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 16:50:55 -0800
I thought that you'd be interested in this:

As you may know, America Online now offers access to internet lists,
newsgroups, gopher, and wais. Since America Online has a TOS (Terms of
Service) and tries to be a "family-oriented" network, there are many things
that are removed or are not permitted to be released, this causes problems
with the more freely worded Internet.

This is the file that you see when you enter the newsgroups area, warning
users about what they may find.

>ABOUT NEWSGROUPS AND "NETIQUETTE"
>
>Newsgroup discussions are among the most fascinating and diverse sources
>of content to be found on the Internet.  Newsgroups offer America Online
>members the unique opportunity to participate in discussions on a wide
>range of subjects with millions of people all around the world.
>
>Since the content of the Newsgroups area comes from OUTSIDE of America
>Online, the thousands of Newsgroup messages that you see in this area
>are NOT subject to America Online's Terms of Service. Everything you see
>in this area is exactly as it appears on the Internet.
>
>How will this affect your experience with Newsgroups?
>
>You may find that in certain Newsgroups, the participants use language
>and discuss subject matter that would not be acceptable on America
>Online. Although this is the exception rather than the rule, you may
>choose to avoid certain Newsgroups if you are uncomfortable with the
>discussion that takes place in them.
>
>If you are a parent, you may wish to supervise your child's use of this
>area.
>
>SENDING MESSAGES AND RESPONSES
>
>One of the most exciting aspects of being a part of the Internet
>Community is personal participation in the wide-ranging discussions that
>take place in Newsgroups.
>
>Through America Online, you can post your own messages to the Newsgroups
>that you are following, and respond to messages from other participants.
> When you respond to posted messages, you can even elect to copy your
>response via electronic mail to the author of the original message.
>
>In any social interaction, certain rules of etiquette can lead to more
>enjoyable and productive communication.  The Internet is no different --
>in fact, there's even a special word for it: "Netiquette!"
>
>The following tips for posting messages and responses to Newsgroups are
>adapted from guidelines originally compiled by 'Net citizens Chuq Von
>Rospach and Gene Spafford.  They are good rules of thumb for any online
>communication, but are particularly appropriate on the Internet (so many
>people, and so much volume).
>
>1.  Never forget that the person on the other side is a human being.
>
>Even though you are using a computer to communicate, and your words are
>going outside of the familiar America Online community, don't forget
>that other people are on the receiving end.  Millions of people all over
>the world are reading your words.  Avoid personal attacks.  Don't speak
>(type) hastily -- try not to say anything to others that you would not
>say to them in a room full of people.  Remember that you are playing an
>important role in building an online community -- and we all want this
>community to be a good, friendly place.
>
>2.  Be brief.
>
>With millions of people participating, you'll find that Newsgroups
>generate LOTS and LOTS of words.  Other participants will appreciate
> [...]

..Christopher Allen                  Consensus Development Corporation..
..<[log in to unmask]>                         4104-24th Street #419..
..                                        San Francisco, CA 94114-3615..
..                                        o415/647-6383  f415/647-6384..
..Mosaic/World-Wide-Web Front Door:                                   ..
..ftp://netcom7.netcom.com/pub/consensus/www/ConsensusFrontDoor.html  ..