Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 19:36:29 +0001
On Thu, 5 Jan 1995, Kathryn A. Smith wrote:

> > -> Severity: Warning
> > -> Facility: Generic error codes
> > -> Abstract: File/major entity not found
> > -> I/O mode: Record write

> I received this same message when I PUT my header back after changing the
> digest section.  The error occured because I did not specify where on the
> listserv that the digests should be stored.  The postmaster had to go in
> and fix the problem of where the messages were to go and then he freed up
> the list.

   Thank you, Kathryn.  Yes, the above would be the same error one would
receive if one did not specify a path name for Notebook.  Just to make
this a bit more informative.  I had to first PUT back the header for the
list with the corrected Lower-case "d" in the directory path.  Then I had
to delete the directory /listserv/arch/D and then create /listserv/arch/d
and then free the list...upon which Listserv did the rest to re-distribute
the mail that the first poster of the list sent.

I think I might collect these errors (since I already have a few) and
annotate them with: Problem Identification:
1. A directory path was not specified for notebook/digests
2. Check directory path for case (upper) if on unix
maybe they will help someone else....sort of like a trouble-shooting
chapter to add to our List-Owner's Guide/Listserv Maintainer's Guide.

> You need to contact the postmaster of your list so that they can correct
> the problem.

  Yes, I talked to her and fortunately she was bright enough to follow
the instructions provided initially by Norm Aleks and now by you. ;-)

Thanks, again.  Much appreciated.  I couldn't hope to repay all the help
I've received from this list *without* asking for help, let alone the
first time that I did ask. I probably speak for the "mostly silent" here.

--Cheers!  --Trish
--
Trish Forrest
Computing Services, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario. Canada