George Buckner <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:28:20 -0400
Ben Parker:

>>OK folks, it turns out that it *is* possible for a subscriber message,
>>properly addressed to the list instead of the listserv, to be routed
>>to the listserv, there to be treated like a series of "unknown commands".
>>I've duplicated the problem.
>
>Off hand I would be more inclined to suspect a mail routing problem, but if
>you could offer the exact, specific details (e.g. list headers, addresses
>used, complete headers of mail messages (msg body is not usually important),
>etc) of your situation we can try to investigate the problem.

I will contact you backchannel with more details, but if it is a mail
routing problem, it is being very selective, since it doesn't do this
with messages from the listowner, and is happening only after it reaches
the listserv.  I have already inspected messages sent from subscribers,
and found nothing wrong with their headers.

Quite simply, if I subscribe one of my non-owner addresses to the list,
and send a message from that address, the problem appears if I address
the message to the alias specified in LIST-ID parm.  The problem does not
appear if I send the message to the actual (full) list name.  It really
is that straightforward.

George Buckner
Owner, Psyche-*, ASSC-*