Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:54:39 -0400
If anyone from Buffalo.edu on this list please note the following:

This is mainly a question for the Lsoft folks about what I suspect is a
config error in the buffalo.edu Listserv.

That Listserv has been sending me probes for a list I subscribe to, and
my ISP has been failing to deliver these probes because buffalo has been
refusing to accept Sender Address Verification (SAV) attempts from my
ISP.  The probes are from:

	<owner-WPWIN-L*richgr**PANIX*[log in to unmask]>

The Buffalo site, however, does not accept mail for the VERF-return
addresses, or at least not in this context.  Panix's mail servers presented
listserv.buffalo.edu with an attempt to deliver mail to the above address,
and was told:

	host mxa.acsu.BUFFALO.EDU[128.205.5.193] said: 550 5.1.1 <owner-WPWIN-L*richgr**PANIX*[log in to unmask]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in relay recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Panix's mail servers then relayed that error message back to the buffalo.edu
mail servers that were trying to send me that message.  The buffalo.edu
servers then sent me a copy of the error, but they sent it using a different
return address that did not encounter this problem, so I was able to
receive the error message.

Q for Lsoft:  Why is Buffalo not accepting this?  I assume it is
supposed to because I get probes from at lest 4-5 other Listserv sites
and only the probes from Buffalo are having the problem.
Wouldn't this mean that ALL probe failures are failing?
I am getting mail from the Buffalo list with no problems.

--
Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 239 543 1353
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67