Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:55:32 -0400
On: Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 10:23:25AM -0400,Pete Weiss Wrote:

} listname-request currently generates an auto-ack message.  This can be
} done by the kinds of viruses that "spoof" the FROM: field resulting in
} unwanted mail to the FROM address (if it really exists), of if does not
} exist, a bounce back to the listowner.
}
} I recommend as a reduction technique, updating your list's template
}
} >>> REQACK1 Your message to &LISTNAME-request@&MYHOST
} .qq
} [the rest of the original template]
}
} Obviously this doesn't solve the problem of spam to the -request address.
}
} Though I've never tried it (and it may have unintended bad consequences,
} esp for non-SPAM mail), you could make all list-owners QUIET
}
} OWNER= quiet:,[log in to unmask]

While either of these would help, I don't think you want both of them
because an unintended bad consequence would be that mail to
listname-request (which is a "well known" address) would vanish into a
black hole.  If you make all owners quiet, put in the ack message that
no human will see thier message and give an alternate address.

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com  + 1 770 563 6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign panix.com    + 1 770 321 6507