Jo Hermans <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:13:18 +0100
Hello,

is it possible for me to query what the path will be to a specific user ?
The "show dpaths ..." command will only work for a backbone host, not for a
regular listserv host.

>> show dpaths listserv-mail.surfnet.nl
>BROWNVM --> PLUM.EASE.LSOFT.COM --> LISTSERV-MAIL.SURFNET.NL
>
>> show dpaths listserv.cc.kuleuven.ac.be
>There is no backbone server at node LISTSERV.CC.KULEUVEN.AC.BE.

I think it would also be very useful to see how a specific user will be
routed, even when they're not using listserv as their final mailserver.

For example : I've noticed that my Blues-L list used to be routed over the
surfnet.nl (Dutch) host until 2 days ago (for an account @vub.ac.be, in
Belgium). Now it doesn't anymore, and it travels with regular SMTP from
brownvm.brown.edu to my mailserver.

Other mail (like lstown-l) actually follows this path :
PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM --> LISTSERV.CC.KULEUVEN.AC.BE

which is completely different (I know, it's a complicated algorithm). Plum
routes (or used to route) over Holland, peach still routes over a Belgian
host. For various reasons (vub.ac.be is on the same backbone as
kuleuven.ac.be), I would rather want to use that particular listserv-host
if possible.

---
Jo Hermans, System Administrator DINF, VUB University, Brussels
[log in to unmask]                http://dinf.vub.ac.be/~jo/
Tel : +32-2-629.38.19               Fax : +32-2-629.35.25

Listmom (sic) of Blues-L  [log in to unmask] or bit.listserv.blues-l
Maintains the Benelux Blues Scene   http://blues.vub.ac.be/