Eleftheria Maratos-Flier <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 1 May 1994 10:02:05 EST
Peter Weiss writes:

>>I seldom DELETE a userid based upon a simple bounce, unless it is from a
VM host (most of the time "auto-delete" will catch real "userid
unknown").<<

How busy are your lists?

Healthre can exceed 50 messages a day.  The errors once started will
frequently bounce for days and I haven't found any way to stop them.
I usually set people to digest on the first bounce.  This leads to
occasional confused mail from people that have in fact been receiving
their mail and I then ask them to check with their postmaster and
instruct them on how to go back to mail once they have heard from
their postmaster that their site is ok.  If the digest bounces for
a few days I send them a note telling them about the problem and
asking them if they wan't to stay on the list they had better reply to
me in 24 hours or they will be deleted.

My co-owner and I defaulted to this as the way of minimizing
error messages while giving subscribers the benefit of the doubt.

>>Nevertheless, I frequently MAIL QUIET SET list NOM NOF FOR userid@host,
which preserves subscription info with a followup to the (postmaster or
root or system) at host.<<

What is the NOF option?

Is there a difference between MAIL QUIET SET and just QUIET SET?

Thanks.
Eleftheria Maratos-Flier, co-owner HEALTHRE