"David M. Rosenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 17:45:01 EDT
I am running a list (using LISTSERV 1.8a on VM) on which I want subscribers
and indirect subscribers to be able to post to the list themselves, but I
want other peoples' messages to go through a moderator. By "indirect
subscribers" I mean a situation where a bulletin board or other
(non-LISTSERV) list is subscribed to my list and the "indirect subscribers"
read the articles from my list on the bulletin board or non-LISTSERV list.
Since I am unable to identify the "indirect subscribers", I am prepared to
assume that everyone on a specific host, or everyone in a specific subdomain
is an "indirect subscriber".

What I'd like to be able to do is set up MYLIST like this:

Send= Editor
Editor= userid@host                   /The real editor
Editor= (MYLIST)                      /Takes care of "direct" subscribers
Editor= *@*.mit.edu                   /Takes care of some people at MIT
Editor= *@mit.edu                     /Takes care of other people at MIT
Editor= *@fcbbs.ss.kpmg.com           /Takes care of people at KPMG

but I don't think this works. (Does it?)

If necessary, I would be willing to create a dummy list, for example named
MYDUMMY, with:
Service= *@*.mit.edu,*@mit.edu,*@fcbbs.ss.kpmg.com

and then set up MYLIST as follows:
Send= Editor
Editor= userid@host                   /The real editor
Editor= (MYLIST)                      /Takes care of "direct" subscribers
Editor= Service(MYDUMMY)              /Takes care of "indirect" subscribers

Would that work?

In general, what do you recommend as the best way to extend what the List
Owner's Manual refers to as "self-moderation" to include people who aren't
necessarily subscribers but who send mail from a specific host or a specific
subdomain?

/David M. Rosenberg            [log in to unmask]            1-617-253-8054