Sat, 18 Dec 1999 06:55:56 EST
   Having had our >2000 subscribers receive the below-mentioned message worm
via our private Listserv, obviously disabling attached-file passthrough
should be of the highest priority.  If not, another listowner has told me
that Lyris has a rich set of filters and that we should switch to that.  I'm
catching alot of heat and demands for a new mailing list manager from our
subscribers for not being able to shear off these infected attachments with
Listserv.  Listowner beware!

Important Notice

We have just learned that an email worm has been found circulating the web
referencing MessageMates.com.  This worm file is in no way connected with
MessageMates.com.

If you have received an email with a message that reads:

he, your lame client cant read HTML, haha.
click attachment to see some stunningly HOT stuff

or

http://stuart.messagemates.com/index.html

Hypercool Happy Year 2000 funny programs and animations….
We attached our recent animation from this site in our mail! Check it out!

then you have been passed the Worm in question.

It is a worm that was created and set loose by someone who’s trying to spoil
all of our Holiday fun.  Do not run the attachment included in the email and
please delete the email message immediately!

What we know about this Worm so far:

Symantec has named this worm: W32.NewApt.Worm.
Once opened/launched the worm will email itself out and reply to messages in
your mailbox.
The file being passed as an attachment is approximately 68K.
The subject line of this message will vary and may appear to be a reply to
something you’ve previously sent.
The attachment is no way related to any MessageMates.com products.
What you can do:

Read the details of this worm virus by checking with Symantec at:
www.symantec.com
If you receive a suspect email with an .exe attachment from someone, first
email them back and confirm that they’ve intended to send you a MessageMate.
What we can tell you about MessageMates.com:

Our millions of loyal users are our number one priority and we are fully
committed to providing software programs that are safe and fun.
We never send out any unsolicited emails.
We never send out attachments.
Our files are 100% safe when downloaded directly from our web site.
Please know that we at MessageMates.com have worked tirelessly to earn your
trust and respect. We take great pride in our products and only want our
users to have a positive and entertaining experience with them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this very important notice. If you
have any questions or comments, please email me directly at

Chris Heitmann
Chief Operating Officer