Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:26:04 -0600
On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 12:09:17PM -0700, Ben Parker wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:50:04 -0600, Steve Price <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >Is the only interface to Listserv via email?
>
> No.  There is a command line interface but it can only be used for single-line
> commands.  Adding your name as a list owner in a List Header is (by definition)
> a multi-line command that cannot be done via the command line.  Your only option
> for this kind of thing is via email or the www interface.

I also just found out that if I don't run the process in the background
I get an interface that allows me to type in one-line commands that get
sent to me as POSTMASTER.

> Are you working only with one list or all lists on the server?  If all lists,
> then you can (if you have root access) make yourself a Postmaster for LISTSERV
> which will make you an Owner= of all lists.

The problem with bounced messages being sent to the sender is happening
on all lists, so yes I'm dealing with all the lists.  I have put myself
as POSTMASTER in go.user and added that email address with password to
the system, but I still haven't found that magical knob which controls
the behavior we're seeing.

> You really need to look at the documentation, such as the List Owner's Quick
> Start Manual at  http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/index.html

I'm reading them as I type this.  I'm reading them as fast as I can.
Unfortunately telling my friend's customers that I'm reading the docs
and they'll just have to wait until I'm done would only fan the flames
which is why I asked here.  Hopefully one day I'll be able to return
the favor.  I come from 15 years of Unix background so I understand the
age old idiom, RTFM.  Thanks.

-steve