Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:26:17 -0500
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Michael Walsh wrote:
> We have a list owner that wants to know how many subscribers actually
> open the email that is posted to a particular list.  I suspect it is
> like the "receipt" option in MS Outlook.  Is there an option in LISTSERV
> to perform this function?

How big is this person's list, and how active is it?  If either are very
large numbers, she's crazy, doesn't really want to know.  A report each
time someone looks at the lists postings?  I routinely set subscribers
who have systems which do that to DIGEST, and tell them they are going to
stay that way until they change their email settings, or their site does.
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have time to look at an extra
60,000 - 120,000 error messages per day (and that is how such things are
properly reported, as errors).  And I don't imagine my host site would be
happy about the extra load.

Or is it a report that is wanted, prepared by LISTSERV?  Well, lots of
people don't look at list mail as soon as it arrives, sometimes they
open a week, or two, or .... after it arrives.  How does he want this
arranged?

Douglas  Winship      [log in to unmask]