Mike Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:52:37 -0500
> It appears that the message originated on the newsgroup and made it
>through.

Spam coming in through my list's newsgroup gateway is the only route left
open for spam.  If you're using 1.8b you can review the input from the
gateway address and filter it manually that way.  This isn't available to me
with 1.8a.  I could set our newsgroup to be moderated, but I've been given
to understand that this runs the risk of crippling it's distribution as the
the moderation order gets passed around.  That may, or may not, clear up
with time, but someone's going to lose the group, at least for awhile. The
best solution would be to let the cancelbots take care of it, but at least
American.edu processes articles immediately on receipt.  I've been given to
understand that it would be a major restructuring job for them to set it up
so that processing was delayed long enough for the cancel orders to be
processed first, so this seems unlikely to happen soon.

Mike Holloway              |* On average, 8 people a day on the waiting list
[log in to unmask]   |  for a transplant die for lack of a donor.
___________________________|* The end-stage diseases treated by transplant
  do not recognize age, race, nationality or pocketbook.
* There is no justifiable reason to deny organ donation, but many myths and
misunderstandings.
* Next of kin must allow donation.  Your family must know your wishes.
* Only a small fraction of the next of kin of potential donors allow
  donation to take place.
* In general, medical professionals do not recognize their obligation to
  support and promote donation.
Questions? See FAQ:
http://www.lib.ox.ac.uk/internet/news/faq/bit.listserv.transplant.html or
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/bit.listserv.transplant/