"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:02:47 -0500
ABLE wrote, in part..
> Our listserv is being invaded by a guy who is subscribing
> the list to dozens of commerical emails as a prank.

You can spend your life trying to keep up such low-lifes or avoid it
all by changing your "* subscription=open" to

   *  Subscription= Open,Confirm

This will cause LISTSERV to invoke its confirmation process whenever
someone subscribes. For fake subscriptions, the confirmation request
goes to the faked ID, presumably not under control of the low-life, and
is ignored (or questioned).  In any event, you do nothing and the
low-life is forced to harass someone else. In my experience, 98% of all
people are able to handle the confirmations.

Hope this helps,

Wayne T. Smith                 mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group -- CAPS          University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey mailing lists