Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:57:52 -0400
I have a fully moderated list with some 750 subscribers who generate
about 50 messages a day, with a peak of about 80 messages.  This
translates to about 60 MB/day of list traffic and some 38,000 deliveries
per day, on average.

I need to find a new host for the list, preferably running LISTSERV,
and I have a few options.  One is to go with L-Soft's hosting service.
Another option is to use a spare Sun SPARC 1+ workstation with 16MB of
memory as a server.  It would be a dedicated server with a direct link
to a non-dedicated T3 commection to the net (this line would also be
carrying traffic for a departmental network of about 200 people).

I know it is extremely difficult to tell if such an arrangement would
be sufficient, but I'd like to hear people's opinions.  I think, at the
very least, that the memory is insufficient, but I'm wondering how much
memory would be recommended (32MB? 64MB?).  Is this enough horsepower?

Does anyone have experience with such a set up?

Dave
http://www.classical.net/