"Ken W. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 08:23:51 -0400
On the thread about removing names of our subscribers from IAF.NET -- the
issue is more complicated than some people realize.

        IAF has my email address.  (I checked.)  I don't mind; there does
need to be some type of big internet "phone book" and I am willing to put
my name in it as long as it is not used for bulk mailing.
        What happens if I am subscribed to your list and you get IAF to
delete all the names of your subscribers?  Then my name is deleted.  I
don't want my name deleted; now you are interfering with *my* rights.

        So it is not that simple.  I suspect IAF will refuse, legitimately,
to delete the names of *others* at your request.
        Hopefully they will follow their pledge to delete *your* name, at
your request.

        I agree that it is frustrating that IAF apparently culled lists
without letting anyone know what they were doing.  But what can be done
now?

Ken

> On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Peter Laws wrote:
> > So ... as responsible listowners, maybe we should capture a review of our
> > lists, submit them to the above address, and demand they be removed ...

Ken W. Smith, Professor of Mathematics
Interim Director of Institutional Research
Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859
office phone: 517-774-7222, fax: 517-774-4250
home phone & fax: 517-772-5042