Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 17:36:31 -0400
Melvyn King writes:

>I have been getting the following bounce. I can not figure it out. I would like
>to delete the offending address but what is it? Should I contact
>MCIMAIL(postmaster)? Who would be able to figure out what is goning on?

>>From: "L-Soft list server at UBVM (1.8b)" <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: WPCORP-L: error report from MCIMAIL.COM
>>The enclosed message, found in the WPCORP-L mailbox and shown under the spool
>>ID 1575 in the  system log, has been identified as  a possible delivery error
>>notice  for the  following reason:  "Sender:", "From:"  or "Reply-To:"  field
>>pointing to the list has been found in mail body.

I'm not sure about MCIMail, but I get exactly the same sort of message
from one of the users on my list who uses CCMail.  I suspect it's a
user setting problem, or perhaps a local configuration error in that
site's CCMail program, but every time that user replies to a message
from my list, the mailer insists on including the original message
header at the end of the reply, "Sender:", "From:" or "Reply-To:"
fields and all.  LISTSERV must think the message got misrouted or
corrupted and sends his submission to me as an error notification
instead of a request for approval (my list is fully moderated).  I've
notified him of this behavior, but he seems unable to troubleshoot it
from his end.  I, therefore, have to reconstruct his messages before
sending them on to the list (he's a valuable contributor).  When he
originates (as opposed to replies) His messages go through OK, though
they still have a vestigal header hanging off the end that I have to
delete before approving his message.  Apparently this mini-header isn't
sufficient to confuse LISTSERV.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/music/