Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:23:38 -0600
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:02:56 -0500, Winship <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We want all the material from her "listname home page"
>transfered to the LISTSERV listname page.

This can be done.  This page is a 'static' page (unlike most of the LISTSERV
WWW Interface pages whichh are dynamically genereated on-the-fly) but never
edit this page directly.  Rather, this page is re-generated upon every list
message posting from the WWW_INDEX template in listname.MAILTPL.  So the
appropriate changes need to be made to this template and then they will exist
on the listname.html page generated by LISTSERV.  Of course any files,
documents, etc. linked from here will also need to be moved to some new
webserver, or perhaps stored on the LISTSERV server as well (by someone with
Site Admin privileges).

>any listowner can modify it (hope by email,
>but will accept by web only if necessary)

Although editing via email GET/PUT is possible, I strongly suggest any editing
of LISTSERV's web pages be done only via the LISTSERV WWW interface.  The
biggest advantage is the changes are immediately visible and mistakes, if any,
are also immediately obvious and correctable.  Also, you edit only the one
template you are working on, whereas by email you must manage the entire
listname.MAILTPL file and all other templates you are not then editing.  This
can get cumbersome, especially if you are making lots of changes in a short
time.

>The list filelist/catalog.  Want that to show up and be useable via the
>LISTSERV listname web page, just like the archives, the logs.  I suspect
>this is a matter of linkage.  The LISTSERV listname page shows all of the
>list logs, and they can be read as logs.  It does not show what is in the
>optional filelist/catalog.

Most lists (in fact most LISTSERV Sites) do not use the filelist/catalog
feature at all, so this is not an automatic part of the LISTSERV WWW
interface.  In fact, even for email GET/PUT the listname.CATALOG file must be
maintained by-hand by the List Owner each time a new file is added.  So yes,
such information can be added to the template for the listname.html page again
by appropriate editing as noted above.

However, I would suggest it is probably better to make the filelist/catalog a
separate page linked from the listname.html page to avoid having "everything
including the kitchen sink" on that one page.  But that really is a
design/layout choice that should be left to the designer (List Owner).  It is
possible for the List Owner to create additional templates for additional
pages (for example posting list rules/guidelines, or filelist/catalog, etc.).
The method for doing so is in the List Owner Manual Chap 9.5 onwards  (see
especially Chap 9.9)

>However, the proposed new listowner might do it via the web, and probably
>will, if she can. She has worked as a professional webpage designer.  She
>doesn't know LISTSERV nor .mailtpl templates.

She will need to learn the methods of LISTSERV's template logic, especially
how it is makes extensive use of nested includes (.IM) of other templates.
But once she learns how to do this, from the List Owner manual and from the
built-in help screens within the LISTSERV WWW interface itself, it will become
very easy.

>Can she do everything,
>acheiving the results I mentioned, via the existing, host
>site defaults, listowners web page to modify list's web presence for the
>results I want?

Yes.