Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:07:19 -0500
On 20 Mar 00, at 10:46, Jane Lyle wrote:

> We've just found out that our list, along with numerous others, is being
> ported to the remarq.com Web site without our permission. Apparently
> someone (naturally not @remarq.com) subscribed in order to redistribute
> our posts. Douglas, I'm told that your list is there, too.

FWIW, my list is there too. It's a list with Private archives, and
requires a confirmation for subscribing, so I was miffed to see it
there. So I registered to Remarq with a hotmail account so I could
see what they have for my list. Here's what I got:

> This is a restricted access message board  You need to subscribe to
> the message board before you can read and participate. RemarQ can ask
> the message board owner to subscribe you. When you are successfully
> subscribed, the message board will be available from your personalized
> RemarQ discussions home page.  To have RemarQ send a subscription
> request to the message board owner please click
>                              Subscribe to Epilepsy
>
> Please note:
> RemarQ has no control over the moderation and subscription policies
> message board owners enforce. Further, RemarQ does not control the
> timeliness of a message board owner responding to your subscription
> request. Your subscription request, if authorized, could take moments
> or days to complete. If RemarQ receives any email from the moderator,
> RemarQ will forward it to the email address you have registered.
>
> When you are successfully subscribed to a group it will be available
> from your personalized RemarQ discussions home page.

Well, at least they aren't rebroadcasting my private archives
publicly. I tried clicking on the "Subscribe" link -- this tried to run a
cgi, where one of the parameters was "doconfirm". Apparently it
knows about confirmations and it's got some programming to
handle the confirmations. But also apparently it doesn't work too
well -- it kept timing out and I couldn't get subscribed that way. The
LISTSERV log showed no sign of a subscription attempt.

So, it looks like if you keep your archives private and you require
confirmation for subscriptions, you've effectively protected your list
from this site. Even if it worked, it seems like it's more along the
lines of a hotmail.com address -- an anonymizer rather than an
archiver.

Francoise