Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 May 2002 09:04:00 -0400
Winship wrote:

> I trust e-mail above web as with email one has a record, if one saves
> everything sent, which is readilly available.  Something wrong with the
> PUT list header, hmm, let's look at the sent file (and the header before
> changes were made); oh, THERE it is, that's what I did wrong.  If something
> performs other than expect I know that it is because *I* messed up, knowing
> what I was doing, whereas if you do it via the web you can easily be lead
> into making changes you don't want, with little ability to figure out which
> change did what, resulting in what you don't want, who knows why.

It depends what email program you use, though.  I encourage people
here to use the Web interface because so many of them have email
programs that do all sorts of "helpful" things behind their backs,
like changing email addresses into mailto URLs (which makes for a
very messy subscriber list as you can imagine) or putting in
formatting characters.  These programs probably have ways to turn
these things off, but if the user doesn't know how to do it and
I'm not familiar with the program, then the Web interface seems
like the obvious solution.  You have an email program that just
sends what you type, but that is not as common as it once was.

Margaret King
Michigan State University