Daniel Salaciak <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 17:08:37 +0100
Chuck:

I do want to thank you for your suggestion to edit/customize LISTSERV
templates.  I went to follow your steps but "Customization" is not available in
our version of LISTSERV 15.0 Lite.  The Lite version is free, but non-
customizable, and not supported by the vendor.  Unless we get a user
community willing to pay for the customizable version of LISTSERV 15.0, it
doesn't look like I will be able to apply the customizations you have so kindly
suggested.

Maybe there is another way with LISTSERV 15.0 Lite to modify these specific
templates?  Doing so manually, of course, opens the door to accidental code
additions/deletions that (in my opinion) are much more difficult to test and
debug than altering templates (and code) through the application interface.

Having arrived at what appears to be an impasse with the limitations of
LISTSERV 15.0 Lite, I have communicated to one of our LISTSERV admins the
following:

___________________________________
We cannot click on 'Customization' as this option is only available in the full
LISTSERV version (you get what you pay for) and we've got a version we can
use, it's Lite, it's free, but we don't have access to the full functionality of the
software and NO SUPPORT from the vendor.  The only support we have
received thus far is from a LISTSERV forum and we have come up with a web
page that allows Cardinal users to signup for LISTSERV lists. After they verify
they really want to join this list (by clicking on an email link), the signup tosses
them back to a page to sign in to LISTSERV 15.0 Lite (which is very confusing
and impossible to prevent the user from seeing).

The good thing is this: they are signed up (and can remove themselves from
these lists using the web interface also).  The bad thing is this: the user gets
thrown back to a page that wants them to sign in to LISTSERV 15.0 Lite and
there is no need for them to do this.

So, we’ve got to revisit what we’ve come up with, establish some guidelines
that will be workable, and then see if this is acceptable to the user
community.  Bear in mind that should this approach be implemented, users will
want ‘changes’ to the process etc.  And ‘changes’ are going to be near-to-
impossible because we don’t have access in the software to customize this
stuff.  In fact, the solution we have at our disposal is ONLY a result of a
bastardization “(reducing) from a higher to a lower state or condition” of
templates manually (not a good idea, but it works – barely).  This fussing
around with templates manually has the software sending out notifications and
specific wording over which you and I have NO control.  We can’t CUSTOMIZE
this stuff.  What you see is what you get and don’t ask for any changes –
because it ain’t going to happen!

Having said all the above, we DO have a workable automated list signup (and
list removal) procedure.  Let’s revisit what we’ve got and see if this is what we
want.

Chuck (or anyone else on this list), if I'm way off base on my reply to the
LISTSERV admin, please let me know.  I may be looking at this all wrong.

Kind regards,

Dan