Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Mar 1992 14:42:51 EST
On Thu, 12 Mar 1992 09:42:05 EST Nick Laflamme said:
>At UICVM a lot of traffic splits off:  Internet traffic.  UICVM hosts an
>INTERBIT site, an official gateway between BITNET and INTERNET.  Even
>though INDYCMS might have facilities to mail directly to the Internet,
>LISTSERV ignores that and sends to the official gateway at UICVM.
>(Other LISTSERVs use other INTERBITs closer to where they are.)

 That's not entirely true...  It depends on what (if anything) you do
 to your DOMAIN NAMES file.  I successfully persuaded Listserv to use
 the local SMTP server for all mail that would normally be passed to
 "INTERBIT" by changing all such entries in DOMAIN NAMES to point to
 the local SMTP server.  All my lists (which are all DIST2 lists) used
 my SMTP server for Internet mail that did map to a a non-INTERBIT entry
 in DOMAIN NAMES.  Using a locally modified copy of DOMAIN NAMES also
 means that any/all mail received from downstream nodes for INTERBIT is
 happily passed on to the regional gateway.  So you only handle mail
 generated by your local MAILER and Listserv machines.  Other people
 are not affected by the new configuration.

>Hope this helps,
>Nick

 -jj

 PS - I've had to temporarily stop using my own SMTP server until I can
 test a new version of the domain name server code, so it you receive
 Internet mail from JHUVM via an "INTERBIT" site that's why.