"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:35:37 -0400
On 20 Jun 2002 at 13:36, Michael Shannon kindly replied, in part:
(Wayne Smith originally wrote ..)
> > Some of my lists have a list management web page that uses
> > the "ls1" off-
> > yellow buttons.  I just noticed that some other ones use the
> > (way cool)
> > "ls2" (/archives/images/ls2-subscribers.gif) buttons.
> >
> > What is the difference?
>
> what version LISTSERV are you running?  1.8d only ever had the off-yellow
> buttons (unless L-Soft released some more that I wasn't aware of).  1.8e has
> a variety of colour schemes to choose from.  Maybe another owner's made a
> change you're not privy to?

Turns out I had a number of lists with ">>> LAYOUT-DATA", probably created
by me or by a site template some time ago.  The old LAYOUT-DATA worked, but
lacked the functionality of 1.8e.  I've spent some time now ridding many of
my site's lists of unnecessary templates and re-applying changes to new
templates, so, where reasonable, the list owners and readers can enjoy the
nifty new features of 1.8e.   I did this for a couple of dozen lists, but
wouldn't for my entire couple of hundred.  With sites with thousands of
lists, such changes in the web interface might be considered quite a
problem ... and a problem tough to measure or consider back when the
template changes were originally made.

I don't except LSoft to address this more than they have, but it is an
interesting problem.  Where (I seem to recall) LSoft has a web page to
create the list template entry LAYOUT-DATA, maybe major upgrades should
attempt to "migrate" it to enable new/changed features?

Anyway, I wrote this just to answer my own question as posed here and
kindly responded to by Michael S.      cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                         Systems Group - UNET
[log in to unmask]                 University of Maine System