George Keith <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 May 1996 02:16:26 -0400
I don't know about the rest of you, but the Magazine Club spam
campaign--the one that starts off like this:

  Subj:    ===>> FREE 1 yr USA Magazine Sub sent worldwide-270+ Choices!
  Date:    96-05-08 20:26:18 EDT
  From:    Approved99

  To:      [log in to unmask]

  -----> NOTE: Please first read my note which appears below the
  "Request for more info Form."  Then, to get more info, just fill out
  the "Request for More Info" form completely and *FAX* or *SMAIL* it
  back to the company.  You will get a quick reply via email within 1
  business day of receipt of the info request form below.

  ---<snip>---

  Hi fellow 'netters,

  My name is Helen Ng and I recently started using a magazine
  subscription club in the USA that has a FREE 1 yr. magazine
  subscription deal with your first paid order- and I have been very
  pleased with them. [ . . . ]

  ---<snip>---

It is really getting on my nerves.  I see a new copy of the same spam
every week, it seems.  Fortunately, listserv is good enough to filter
it out each time, but still it's frustrating that it STILL KEEPS
COMING, and from a different account each time (or, more likely, it
was just forged).

Can anybody think of a practical way (now that the UNABOMER appears to
have been apprehended ;-) ) to get this company to STOP THE SPAM?  One
would think it must be at least _somewhat_ successful for the
perpetrator to continue trying, even though I am sure that most
listservs will catch it before it goes to the various lists.

<sigh>

It's kind of like watching the big bad wolf sit outside your little
brick house blowing his lungs out...  You know he can't hurt you using
this approach, but it would still be better to see him give up than
continue trying...

--Georgi