Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:53:07 EST
On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:48:16 EST Debbie Douglass said:
>On March 18, on [log in to unmask], Sherry Beauchamp said:
> >>Why not just send both commands in the same email?  That way they will be
> >>processed in order.  I routinely send 10 or more screens of commands in one
> >>email, and they always seem to be processed in order.
>
>I tried that a long time ago and they were not always processed
>sequentially. Perhaps this is something that was corrected
>in 1.8c? That would be great if true since my host site recently
>upgraded.

LISTSERV has <always> processed commands in the order received, particularly
if they are typed sequentially in the same message.  My guess is that if
your experience is different, it means that the first command probably
required a password (or had a typo) and was rejected, after which the
next command was processed in order.  It is flatly impossible for LISTSERV
to switch the order of commands that it receives in the body of the same
message.  This would be like saying that line 20 of a program executed
before line 10 (assuming of course that line 5 didn't say GOTO 20 :)

Nathan