Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:29:48 -0400
On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Chamier James wrote:

> I've got a problem on my list with one subscriber who insists on posting
> a lot, lots of messages that are irrelevant, however mixed in with these
> are relevant posts. I was wondering if it is possible to set a limit for
> a subscriber so they can only post 3 times a day, and then its sent to
> the editor, sort of semi-review ?

        Why not just set the subscriber in question to REVIEW, leaving
everyone else as they are.  That way, all the one subscriber's
postings will come to you for approval, and you can approve the useful
stuff and zap the rest.  If, in contrast, you just set the person to 3
postings per day, there's nothing to guarantee that the three will be
useful rather than junk.

        The command for setting a single subscriber to REVIEW is
SET [listname] REVIEW for [subscriber@domain]  (or, if you want to do this
without notifying the subscriber from the start, use QUIET SET rather
than just SET .  The subscriber will quickly find out that his/her
postings are being reviewed when he/she sends the next message, but
sometimes the announcement that the message is being sent to the listowner
is less troubling than the message announcing that the listowner has set
the subscriber to REVIEW.)

        Joan Korenman

*    Joan Korenman                              [log in to unmask]           *
*    University of Maryland, Baltimore County                               *
*    Baltimore, MD 21250                        http://www.umbc.edu/wmst/   *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *