Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:04:47 -0500
The AOL issue was that people would click on the "spam" key provided by the AOL interface when they meant to simply delete a message. This would get the attention of the AOL people and after a couple reports against an email provider, they'd blacklist the provider. That meant that Lsoft ran the risk of being blacklisted and all their list traffic, world-wide, not getting through. So, Lsoft elected that when they were notified by AOL that a subscriber had filed a spam notice, they (Lsoft) would drop the account and thereby preclude any future reports against them by that account.

My memory is a bit fuzzy but I'd bet this was 5-6 years ago.

When first implemented, the policy would be a bit lenient towards these subscribers when a good reason could be made. I haven't heard of the policy being waived in several years.

Eric Johnson
Listowner, Toller-L