john riehl <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 12:11:03 PST
On Mon, 6 Feb 1995 10:38:17 EST Mike Ramundo said:
>Over the last 3 weeks, I've received a slew of rejected responses-to-
>confirmation-requests.  All of the responses have been addressed to
>owner-LISTSERV   They appear to be automated 'REPLY's ( i.e. sender
>appeared to type REPLY - not type the address from scratch)
>The only thing that they seem to have in common is that the FROM and/or
>first RECEIVE header has the string "MSMAIL" ... somewhere in it.....
>
>Anyone else seen this ?

Yes, only this is not new.  I have seen this for a while.  It appears
that MS MAIL uses the "Return-path" keyword for replies, instead of
the reply-to:, Sender:, or From: tags.  I have a lot of people on
one list, where they reply to postings, and it comes to me (owner-listname)
instead of the list, because of it.

This is not the only problem that I have seen from MS Mail.  I have
heard conflicting answers to whether or not these can be solved.  Not
having a MS Mail system, I couldnt tell you.  I can only tell you that
the errors have not gone away in the last year or so that I have seen
them.

jr
(john riehl)
(MS:  where quality is job 1.2F)