Anthea Tillyer <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Jan 1993 20:11:12 EST
As  the person  who apparently  (and inadvertently)  started the  current
firestorm on this list, I'd like to set the record straight: I never used
the words "computer  wizards". And I never said that  computer people act
or feel  superior. What  I said  was: "I am  always intimidated  by their
apparent superiority"  I referred to  people whose profession  focuses on
some aspect of  computers as "computer professionals". As far  as I know,
this is the correct term.  I would appreciate elucidation if I am wrong.

I did not ever say that  all computer professionals are rude or arrogant.
I saidthat I, as an ignorant user, have suffered from the unhelpfulness &
lack  of   sympathy  for  my  plight   on  the  part  of   some  computer
professionals, so that in my opinion  "it behooves most systems people to
spend less time belittling the  ignorant (but willing-to-learn) user, and
more time being helpful."

Is this not a statement of general truth?

How anyone  can turn it  around and infer that  I was trying  to complain
about Eric  in particular,  or *ALL* computer  people globally  is simply
preposterous!

I was trying to put into words  the frustration felt by novice users like
me when faced with the intimidating knowledge, but lack of help, that one
encounters  among many  computer  professionals. I  probably should  have
specified *some* computer professionals,but I didn't know everyone was so
touchy about this kind of thing!

Peace,     Anthea Tillyer    ABTHC@CUNYVM    City University of New York