Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 23:16:27 MST
On Wed, 14 Jun 1995 23:14:26 -0600 Bob Wier said:
>Just a brief note. This probably is already obsolete since it appears the
>senate is going to buy the Exon amendment on the Telecommunications Reform
>Act wholesale. In many people's opinion, it effectively abolishes first

  The Senate of the USA passed it (84-16, I think) today.  The House probably
will.  Not sure if Clinton will sign it.

>amendment rights as far as the Internet goes in the USA. Listowners should
>probably keep close tabs on this.

   After seeing this on the evening news I posted the "7 words you can't
say on television" to WORDS-L in commemoration of the event.  And will
continue to do so daily if it becomes law.

>Whether it will stand up to a consitiutionality test in the supreme court
>is a *really* good question....

   Yes, indeed.

And, with that, we'll end the discussion of local politics....and return
you to your normal international discussion.

  Of course sites that run LISTSERV in the Netherlands and other places
that are a bit more enlightened might start setting up new price scales
to support lists....    and I'm only halfway kidding.

cyclops

  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Network Information Coordinator     WWW: http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  Boise State University Library
  Boise, Idaho  83725                 How can one fool make another wise?
  208-385-1235                        Kansas, "No One Together," 1979