Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 May 1992 11:39:00 EDT
	Earlier today, Herman J. Woltring wrote:

>Yesterday, a posting from a SUNY site was sent to about 40 different lists
>and, in two slightly different forms, distributed on Biomch-L.  If this kind
>of thing continues, I am inclined to set the SEND option for my list to PRI-
>VATE, i.e., for registered subscribers only, while leaving the SUBSCRIPTION
>option PUBLIC.  However, I do not wish to include an editorial function.
>
>My question is what will happen (both on LISTEARN and on LISTSERV -- Biomch-L
>is on a LISTEARN site) if a non-subscriber posts something to the list.

     My list, WMST-L, has SEND=Private but subscriptions open to
everyone, with no editor/moderator.  When a non-subscriber tries to
post to the list, the person receives a response from LISTSERV saying
that he/she is not authorized to post to WMST-L, and that any
questions should be addressed to the listowner(s).  All people listed
as listowners are then listed, with their e-mail addresses.  Only the
person who tried to post the message receives a copy of this
communication from LISTSERV.  I do not.

     Thanks to the Send=Private arrangement, my list has been spared
all the random postings that have assailed other lists in recent
weeks.  There IS a down side (more address hassles), but I've found it
to be worth it.

	Joan Korenman, WMST-L Listowner   KORENMAN@UMBC
	Univ. of MD. Baltimore County     [log in to unmask]
	Baltimore, Maryland 21228-5398