"P. Divirgilio" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 11:34:03 -0400
I thought that the Exon Amendment was while directed against
pornography more directed against harassment like the case that went
to a New York court where an exchange of love letters turned into a
nightmare like "Fatal Attraction" for the woman where she could not
prevent the individual from sending messages and there were no legal
devices to help the moderator nor listserv distributor stop the abuse.
Abusive messages to lists abuse hundreds or thousands of people at a
time so this is a real temptation for someone with a personality
disorder who can understand abuse as power over the group.  This is a
very significant problem in our anonymous society where everyone in
the public eye is a target as surrogate for their perceived power
which can be as little as being surrounded by those perceived as
powerful or in the limelight. This might be a function of what you do
which cannot be avoided. I thought therefore that the FBI had been
directed to protect those vulnerable which in this adminsitration
might include the President and Vice President who frequent the
internet. I think that you are overreacting to the situation which is
really meant to stop yet another form of terrorism and hate crime. Of
course, it depends on how the FBI interprets the amendment. -- Paul.
--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]