Joe Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 7 May 2000 10:08:20 -0500
I took over a list from Majordomo, theBRML, and bulk-added 700
subscribers, including 200 or so from AOL.

Yet people are complaining they have not received messages or
digests. One of my quiet-owners wrote in:

>I swear it has something to do with AOL though.  Andrew
>([log in to unmask]) wrote me and said he hadn't been getting the list.  I
>told him to go to the webpage to subscribe.
>
>But I was curious, so I looked up his account info.  It said that he had
>been subscribed since May 2nd (from the very beginning).
>
>So I figured either:
>
>1.  He's lying, and he's been getting the list all along. (But why on earth
>would he lie about that?)
>or
>2.  He's been subscribed all along, but for some strange reason hasn't been
>getting the list (maybe because AOL is filtering it out or something).
>

>Christian ([log in to unmask]) and Jabari also have AOL accounts, and they
>haven't been getting the list either...so theory # 2 seemed more plausible.
>
>Anyway, I have an AOL screen name through a friend's account.  I was still
>curious about this whole thing, so I tried to subscribe my AOL screen name
>to the BRML yesterday morning (before the delivery of yesterday's BRML) by
>manually adding it to the system.  My AOL account instantly received the
>listserv welcome message, but it *never* received yesterday's BRML.  Weird.
>
>I know that AOL had lots of problems with spamming -- do you think that they
>might have installed some sort of mail filter that blocks certain types of
>bulk mail?
>
>I realize this expaination doesn't make much sense, since all of these
>AOL-ers were subscribed to the old BRML without any problems.  But for some
>strange reason, my AOL account and at least two others aren't getting the
>list, even though they are subscribed to it (and I've confirmed the
>subscriptions by checking the system).

I re-added all the AOLers, and found that 214 were already there (two
were added-- no doubt those are dead addresses I'll have to delete in
a couple of days).

The AOLers have not been set to NOMAIL. At least one AOLer has posted
to the list, in fact.

Any ideas?

--
         Joe Clark | [log in to unmask]