Pat Letendre <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 11:51:01 -0600
Hello fellow listowners,
I am hoping that you can help me with what I see as a growing problem with
my list,MEDLAB-L.(MEDLAB-L is a discussion group for professionals who work
in medical laboratories.Subscribers include physicians,lab
technologists/scientists,lab
administrators,educators,and others.)The others include owners,CEOs,and
sales reps of companies that sell diagnostic products and services to the
med lab community.

It is my belief that the list should not be used for overt or direct
business purposes.To this end,I include a blurb(see excerpt below)with
messages that go to new subscribers.My questions are as follows:
1.Am I in-line with what other owners allow for their lists?
2.Are there guidelines that you use for your lists that you are willing to
share?
3.One recent request to which I said "no"-was I justified? The CEO of a
major company wanted to write individual members asking for their input
into research and development of new products by his firm.
4.A current request-do you think it constitutes using the list to do
business? A reporter(former lab technologist) plans to create a commercial
newsletter(supported by advertising from diagnostic companies).She wants to
contact members of the list and use their input to write editorials and
columns about their experiences with specific reagents and kits.I would
like to accomodate her but do not want to set precedents (or double
standards).

Any advise anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.I am finding it
increasingly difficult to monitor this issue.Many thanks.Regards,Pat
AIMS of MEDLAB-L
Please use the listserv for non-commercial purposes.Its objectives are to
provide a forum for people associated with medical and related laboratories
to share ideas and experiences,discuss mutual problems,offer advice,promote
continuing education,network with international colleagues,and collaborate
on research.
IF YOU REPRESENT A COMPANY THAT SELLS GOODS AND SERVICES TO
MEDICAL LABORATORIES

You are a valuable contributer to MEDLAB-L and I welcome your full
participation in the group.However,I would like to address the difficult
issue of sending messages that may constitute advertising and commercial
use of a discussion group like ours and to suggest some guidelines in this
area.The University of Alberta(U of A),which provides the hardware and
software to run MEDLAB-L,is a research and education Internet site,not a
commercial site. This allows the University's access fees to the Internet
to be cheaper than if we were a commercial site.Because we are not a
commercial site, using U of A facilities for direct advertising of products
and services is clearly inappropriate,as is using the list for any business
activity.

However,there exists a large grey area that is difficult to characterize
and monitor.Many employees of commercial companies join groups like
MEDLAB-L.A common topic of discussion among subscribers relates to
laboratory products--their strengths,weaknesses,and where to buy them.Free
and open discussion of products and services is an important benefit of
membership in a group like ours. So where to draw the line? What is
acceptable and worthwhile and what crosses the boundary into commercial use
of MEDLAB-L?

Keeping in mind that it is impossible to develop guidelines for all
eventualities,I have come up with the following examples to show where my
thinking lies.What I want to prevent is MEDLAB-L becoming a dumping ground
for commercial advertising and other business activities.

Examples of acceptable behavior

1.Stating that you sell product"X" and related services as a once-only
introduction of yourself to the group.
2.Responding to specific questions asked by subscribers about products and
services that your company supplies.
3.Promoting continuing education(even if commercial),provided that you have
received permission from the list owner.

Examples of unacceptable behavior

1.Sending *unsolicited* advertisements of commercial products and services
to the group or to individual members.
2.At the end of a message to the group (on an unrelated matter),casually
and habitually mentioning that product"X" is the most wonderful thing since
sliced bread and is available from your company by calling or faxing ...
3.Sending unsolicited messages to individual members in order to use the
list as a source of experts(or potential clients) for conducting research
and development activities for your company.

I welcome your comments and feedback.I need your help in devising a
workable and fair policy for MEDLAB-L.I rely on you to use your judgement
in co-operating with these suggested guidelines.

"Round up the usual suspects."
-Captain Louis Renault
Pat Letendre
Medical Laboratory Science