Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 08:59:33 -0400
I think I recall:

1) it isn't stripping  them, it just is NOT generating them to begin with for each message

2) the prefixing of the DIGEST message text with the bottom-banner preserves some (possibly) copyright or other instructions/restrictons that list-owners are fond of adding.

If I am not mistaken, there may be some other LISTSERV(R) mechanism for prepending DIGEST boilerplate, but I haven't investigated that.