Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:19:12 -0500
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Kevin Parris wrote:
> You can't ask for the unlisted lists.... you can simply get the option
> to access archives of an unlisted list if you know the list name.

And that is my point.  There should be no option to get to, nor even the
slightest hint that there *are*, "confidential", "unlisted" lists.
If you say that there are unlisted lists you are challenging certain types
of people to hack in, which they can and will; point of honor.

Confidential should be so to the point that there is no suggestion that
such lists exist; there should be no "you can access other, unmentiioned,
lists, if you know how and are authorised, or can hack in."  I know that
isn't what the notices say, but that is what they mean.

Why tempt the weak? Simply don't mention that there are "confidential,"
"unlisted" list and folk won't try to hack into them, just for the fun
of it because you said they weren't allowed.

If lists are truly to be "confidential" or "unlisted" they should be
exactly that, and there should be no hint that there are such lists to
which the hoi polloi are denied access.        Douglas [log in to unmask]