Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:49:49 +0200
On Sun, 13 Apr 1997 12:17:05 -0600 Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]> said:

>This is hardly any different from the  folks who fly on planes, read the
>paper, etc. Most don't care whether it is a 727 or 737,

Actually, as a former frequent flyer I can assure you that people who fly
regularly do care (although of course  being able to get a reservation on
the right  day usually takes precedence).  To look at just  one variable,
there are major noise level differences between, say, a 747 and a 767, an
A300 and an  A320, etc. Then there  are jets vs propeller  planes (I will
not fly  propeller unless there is  no jet within 24h),  there are routes
which are guaranteed to be 100%  packed with families whose kids are sure
to get  unbearably anxious after  3 hours and  not find the  thought that
there are only  5 hours left very soothing, there  are airlines where you
will be  packed to a point  where you will have  to put your legs  to the
side because there  won't be enough space  for them in front  of you, and
the nice  stewart will ask you  to please not  put your legs to  the side
like this  because they get in  the way of  the cart, gee why  don't they
give complimentary leg sawing kits, do they really expect people to bring
their own?  Frequent flyers actively  seek out  the planes where  you can
hear  yourself talking  to  the colleague  sitting next  to  you and  the
airlines where you  will be flying comfortably (which is  not a universal
rating but varies  from one route to another). At  the office, colleagues
will tell  you "Don't fly  XYZ on  a Saturday on  this route, they  use a
DC9", or "Avoid Tuesday, they sell half of the plane to a charter company
and the kids run around the plane while the parents get drunk on the free
Champagne".  People who  fly once  every other  year have  no idea  which
planes or routes are preferable and consequently do not care. I guess you
could say this  about casual users in just about  any industry. Likewise,
locals in  NYC actively seek  out the cabs which  are likely to  have air
conditioning  whereas tourists  just grab  the first  cab they  can after
noting  how rude  the locals  were and  how little  respect they  had for
people  who  had  actually  arrived  before ;-)  I  doubt  there  is  any
difference with  mailing lists. Educated  users are willing to  pay extra
for  better software,  otherwise  we would  have  gone bankrupt,  whereas
people who have  only ever been on one mailing  list probably just assume
this is the way it is. Also,  you should not forget that most traditional
mailing lists are operated for free. The university ran the list for free
on software X and now they are  running it for free on software Y. Unless
you're affiliated  with the university, you  don't really have much  of a
say, or much room for complaining.  At the rate at which universities are
sponsoring new  lists nowadays, you probably  figure it's best to  keep a
low-profile  so that  nobody  realizes  that your  list  is not  directly
related to the university's charter and needs to be removed :-)

  Eric