Wes Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:40:05 -0500

[Wes Anderson] Stan Horwitz replied:

> Look for anything that indicates a failure to connect to the recipient's
> host or send email to the recipient. Its hard to be specific since there
> are many ways that an error message can appear in the log file

I got the log file and checked for the subscriber mentioned.  The log file
gave the following message...

"13 Feb 2003 15:43:10 Mail posted via SMTP to [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
" <e-mail address removed for confidentiality>

I thought this meant that the e-mail went through okay.  However, I have
since discovered that other subscribers that were subsequently reported on
the "Daily error monitoring report" actually showed up in the logs with the
same log message as the subscriber in question.  So this log message clearly
has NO significant meaning in terms of whether or not the broadcast e-mail
got through to a subscriber.

So, I'm back to square one.  The Daily error monitoring report will tell me
which subscribers didn't get the e-mail, but there seems to be no reliable
way of telling which subscribers actually got the e-mail.

Are we just to "assume" that subscribers received the e-mail if they don't
show up on a Daily error report?

...Wes Anderson