"David B. O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 09:08:32 -0400
In a message dated 95-04-16 23:49:51 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

>[ ... ] The large service providers are getting into mailing lists, very
>cautiously because of all the horror stories they've heard of, but they're
>getting there. [ ... ]

... and anent the time we do offer the ability to manage mailing lists
locally, I'd like to solicit opinions from list owners regarding the process
of becoming a list owner. That is: before we allow our users to run lists,
we'd like to have some policies in place to deal with the inevitable problems
which will come up. As current list owners, your suggestions for and about
these policies are welcome and appreciated.

Some of the things I've been thinking the prospective list owner should
provide:

- a committment to running the list for a minimum of six months
- a demonstration of long-term membership on AOL, or prior experience running
a list from another provider
- a demonstration of familiarity with Internet mail errors and debugging them
- a demonstration that the list being petitioned for is unique

I don't want to actively discourage members from running lists, but on the
other hand I don't want to have to constantly deal with list owners who
"disappear", or with having to teach prospective list owners the basics of
LISTSERV.

--
__ David B. O'Donnell ([log in to unmask], [log in to unmask])
\/ AOL Internet Feedback/Response/Information Team Manager