Eugenio Gatto <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 May 1996 09:39:37 GMT+1
--- Digests & Archives / Eugenio Gatto. - Torino, 1996-05-27

> ADD listname [log in to unmask]
> SET listname DIGEST FOR [log in to unmask]
[P Weiss, cited by D Winship, LSTOWN-L, 1996-05-27]

If the system on which your LISTSERV runs accepts "hooked addresses" (or
the equivalent RFC 822 form to force routing), I think that no serious
policy issue is raised for an additional hop at the origin, this way (my
LISTSERV is at ICINECA):

[log in to unmask]          <- normal subscription
cid%polito.it@icineca  <- hooked form
@icineca:[log in to unmask] <- RFC 822 form

This I used (with self-moderation) to single out users to be reviewed,
when SET REVIEW didn't yet exist. Now I use it (sparingly and when
requested) to give users residing on unreliable systems a daily
self-check list for documenting lost mail, adding for them a second
subscription set INDEX.

Expanding on this, it could be conceived that (without "messing up" with
addresses) LISTSERV accepts multiple subscriptions for the same address,
provided they exist to bear different subscription options. A simple
thought, not a suggestion: but LISTSERV already does something along
this line ("uniqueness of user" definition), when it warns about Bitnet
/ Internet equivalencies, or upper / lower case duplicates.

I miei saluti.

<-- Eugenio Gatto <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>