"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 12:48:57 -0400
Mike Holloway wrote:

>The header setting "Validation" apparently sets both listowner commands
>and subscriber commands having to do with subscription statis.
>Validation=Yes apparently causes a confirmation process for subscribers to
>sign off.

and to do any number of other things.

>My subscribers have a hard enough time sending the signoff
>command with a web interface to help them.  Confirmation, and the
>instructions for it, is beyond many of them even if they did manage to do
>at one time for subscribing. However, I like the idea of
>a password being needed for listowner commands.  Is there any way of
>separating these two functions?  The manual entry on Validation suggests
>that there isn't, though I can keep the Subscription validation with the
>"open, confirm" setting.

If such a funtionis not available, could it be included in a future
version of LISTSERV?  I would definitely like to have the ability to
approve all of my LISTSERV commands without having to force my subscribers
to do the same.  As I said in a post some time ago, if somebody really
wanted to, they could very easily spoof my address and get the information
from LISTSERV anyway, and it is these kind of things that I would be most
interested in preventing.  Since my list is review by owner, and subscribe
by owner, I want to make sure that, in fact, only the owner has these
authorisations, but anything else I would like to leave to the subscribers
to do.

Glenn